Tuesday, August 19, 2014

11PM and 2AM Blood Glucose Checks

    When William was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes I was afraid. We were at the doctors office learning how to take care of him. We were there all day long. The taught us how to give shots, how to count carbs, and told us to check him every two hours for the first few weeks. They said that it would get better and he would stabilize. I remember him jumping from 300 down to 50 and them back up again. He was all over the place. Night time checks where every two hours. That was exhausting. I remember thinking that I couldn't wait until we didn't have to do that any more. I also remember fearing that he would not be alive the next time we went to check him.

    Flash forward almost five years. I am still checking William at 11PM and 2AM. We had stopped checking him over night for a while when I read an article about "Dead in bed Syndrome". That is where a diabetic person goes to bed with a normal blood glucose number but never wakes up in the morning. I already feared that William wouldn't wake up in the morning and reading this didn't help. After I read this and having William so low one night that his meter wouldn't read, I knew it was time to do more to keep my boy safe. I have been checking him ever since. With mom going to school full time and me trying to make that as easy I as could on her I assumed the nightly check for the last four years. It is a grueling thing to stay up until 11PM every night go to sleep for three hours and get up at 2AM to check him again. It is amazing to know what the body can get used to. I was exhausted all of the time. William's mother always told me that she didn't understand how I could just lay down in bed and fall asleep so easily. It was pure exhaustion. I never got much help from her with his care when she was going to school. This was true even in the summer when her schedule was much less. I guess that is one good thing that came from her leaving. I get every other week off from having to do these checks. I have started to notice that she is not doing the checks every night. That scares me to know that she doesn't have the same commitment to his care as I do and that the Friend of the Court doesn't seem to care. His doctor even told the custody investigator that he didn't feel the night time checks where necessary but he applauded the effort and above normal care that I gave William and that it was good for his long term wellness.

    Am I over reacting to a perceived problem here? I can not tell you how many times over the last four years that I have gone into Williams bedroom to find him really low or really high at night. It has been too many times I will tell you that. Was all of that time and effort for nothing? Was the exhaustion and time away from his mom for nothing too? Was all of the sleepless nights and days at work where I only got through because of coffee a silly fear that I had? I hope that his really good A1C numbers where worth all of those nights when I didn't sleep. The nights when I had to check him over and over. The nights when I wish someone was there to help. I hope his mom finds it inside herself to put him first. I hope that I am not over reacting to something that doesn't need this much fear. I hope that I get to see my son grow into a man and still have all of his hands and feet, eyesight, kidney function and the ability to have children. If he becomes a man and he is still normal then every night I gave to him will be worth it to me.

See you at 2AM,

His Loving Dad

2 comments:

  1. Hello fellow Dad,
    I was moved by your story because I am going through the same thing. My son was diagnosed with T1D when he was 8 and now 2 and 1/2 years later he is doing well. He can do a lot of stuff for himself but the calculations are still out of his grasp. I know how it feels for only one parent that seems to be stepping up to take care of a son with correction doses bolus and 2am checks. I am still with the mother but she writes it off as she can't stay awake or wake up at 2am or other times after a correction dose is given. My son was diagnosed when I was in my last semester of RT school and that was hard to finish with all the new stuff going on. I finally got a career in my field overnight and I had to leave it just 3 days later because my significant other could not handle what I was doing all along for the care of my son. Taking care of a T1D child is a full time job in its own right, and no one can take care of their needs as well as a dedicated parent. I applaud you for being a good dad as well. I know that this can force a child to grow up fast but it feels good when they are happy and still doing kid stuff. Good dads like us need to keep up the good work. Sincerely -P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the same responses from William's mother. She was studying and going to school full time. She told me that she was always tired and couldn't stay awake to check him. The last year we were together she had spring break and told me that she would get p with William every night to give me a break. She got up exactly 0 times that week. She always wondered why I was so tired but my son was worth the effort to keep him healthy.

      Ironically though, since she left I get a break every other week now. She has no other choice but to take care of him. It took her about a year to finally learn how to take care of him properly. I was very afraid for William when the judge gave her 50 percent custody. She is lazy and I was afraid that I would get a call one day that he didn't make it through the night because she didn't get up and check him. It took me having to make sure she knew I was keeping a journal to get her to start.

      I wish you luck and applaud your efforts to keep your son safe. I am part of a group on Facebook called dads battling diabetes. It is a place for dads of children with diabetes. You should look it up. It is nice to have a support group that knows what you are going through. If you choose to do that look me up.

      Keep up the awesome work,

      Tim

      Delete

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...