Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Learning to Read

    Williams mother used to tell me that I had the patients of Job. Teaching a young person to read takes time and a lot of patients (got the Guns and Roses song running through my head now). I tough Jacob, Williams older brother, how to read after they moved in with us. I also tough my oldest son to read. It is one of the greatest gifts that you can give your children. Teach them to read and they can learn anything they want to learn. Now it is time for William to learn. We have been reading every night since he was very small.

    Last year in kindergarten William started bring home site words. These are common words that he should be able to see and know what they are. We practice these every night and we have since school started last year. William has been reading books to me at night. It is a slow process and frustrating at times when he really doesn't want to read that night. He likes to read the words that he does know and just guess at the ones he doesn't. It is funny how a story can change with just a few words being different. He does a great job of sounding out words when he does try and is usually really off when he doesn't. It is funny I can whisper in his ear "sound it out" and he will tell me to quit yelling at him.

    I really look forward to the day when we can read through novels in his room at night. Digging into a story and not being able to wait until the next day to see what happens to the lead character. I want him to bring me lists of books that he wants to read and for us to have adventures together without even leaving his room. I want to fight dragons with him and defeat the Titans with Percy Jackson, train to be a ranger in the young ranger series and fly to the moon. What more could you ask for an adventure with your son. He can be anything in a book. Most of all I hope that he just finds himself inside each book. I want him to see the good parts of each character and bring that into himself.

Pick up a book and have an adventure today,

His Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...