Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Life Savers® Gummies

It is inevitable that someone with diabetes will have low blood sugar at some point in their lives. Everything effects diabetes, working, playing, sitting, growing and getting sick are just a few of the things that can make your blood sugar go crazy. I kind of think of "Forrest Gump" when I think about diabetes. "It's like a box of chocolates.... you never know what you are going to get".

When I check William at 2am sometimes he is right on the money and sometimes he is low and sometimes he is high. There are days that I expect him to be high or low because of the things that he eats. If he eats pizza then I know that night he will be high at nigh even if his blood sugar was fine all day after eating it. If he has ice cream then he will probably go low. It is one of the things that I have just learned to expect and something we tolerate so that he can enjoy some of the things that people without diabetes and celiac disease enjoy. Pizza is his favorite and he would eat it every day if I let him but I would hate to see his A1C for that quarter. When he get older I will let him make the choice to stop eating pizza or not because it makes him feel bad. I hope that we have the artificial pancreas, bionic pancreas or the BIO Hub where he never has to think about diabetes again so he can eat what he wants and his blood sugar is normal all of the time.

When William is low at 2am and I know I need to give him something to get him through the night. I have turned to Life Savers® Gummies. I tried the gel tubes and and glucose tabs and a few other things that are specially made for diabetes. I was never quite sure how much I was giving him with the gel tube and he didn't like the chalky glucose tabs and trying to get him to wake up to eat something was already hard enough. Life Savers® Gummies seemed to be the perfect fit. They are easy to chew and don't take long for him so he can go right back to sleep. They don't get caught in your teeth and they are small carbs that react fast in his body. I know exactly how many to give him for what ever number he is at to get him back to normal numbers.... for most days. There are still the days where I give him the gummies and when I go back in a few hours to see how he is doing only to find that he is right where I left him blood glucose wise. Then we do it all over again. Those nights are long and I don't get a lot of sleep but he is worth it and I will do what ever I can to deliver him to adulthood as close to normal and in good health as I can do as a parent.

Here is to night time lows,

His Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...