Friday, August 15, 2014

Relay for Life

William has his own issues to deal with for the rest of his life with diabetes and celiac disease but every year we take time out of our lives to go visit and support my Nephew "M"and Relay for Life. He was three years old when he was diagnosed with stage four liver and lung cancer. They gave him a 5% chance to live. He is now 7 and has been in remission for four years now. What an amazing success story that was and continues to be.

Relay for Life 2014
My nephew is one of the quietest people that you will ever meet. He is sweet and loves to hug. I look forward to Relay for Life with him every year. I get to take a few laps with him holding my hand. Every year it makes me cry to get the honor to hold his little hand just knowing how close we got to losing him. I know at some point he will get to big to let me hold his hand but I hold it proudly every year. The only way you would know there was anything different about him is the scars that are left from his surgery when the removed the cancer from his body.

William and I went this year. It was fun to see he and William playing on the bouncy building and just hanging out together. Walking around and having both of them enjoying life together. The odds were against both of them and here they are together holding candles to remember and celebrate.  "M's" candle did catch on fire in the middle of the remembrance presentation. It was a little funny. I was sitting next to him when William told me to look at "M's" candle. I put it on  the ground and put it out.

2013-2014 was a really tough year for our family so I am hoping that things will only get better from here. Pray for all of us here and keep us in your thoughts. Time heals all wounds and we both have wounds that will take time to heal. I love to see the smile on his face and I will do what I can to keep that smile there for the rest of his days.

Walking for Life,

His Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...