Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Sleeping with Dad

    Everything that happened this year has been tough on everyone involved over the last six months. William has mostly good days but occasionally a bad one pops up. Last night was a bad night for him. I put him in bed and read him a story then kissed him goodnight and went down stairs. After a few minutes I heard him crying. I asked him what was wrong and he told me that he missed grandpa (grandpa died last year). He went and got in my bed and I crawled in bed with him and pulled him close. I knew today was a day when he needed me to hold him and make him feel safe. He laid on my chest and put his hand on mine. I have never felt so strong as I did at that very moment.  My son needed me to be strong for him that night and I felt so good that he felt safe enough to fall asleep on my chest.

    When William sleeps with me it has always been an adventure. You never know if you are going to get hit with a hand or a foot in the middle of the night. If he will snuggle right up with you and not give you an inch of bed to sleep on or if he will take all of the covers or kick them off because he has his blanky to keep himself warm. There is an advantage to him sleeping with me. I do not have to go so far to do his nighttime checks. I put his meter by the bed and do the check and then go right back to sleep.

    I woke up this morning with his hand across my face and wondered why his hand was across my face but then inside something said remember this moment because there will not be many more of these times for you to remember and I smiled. My little guy will be graduating before I know it but I can look back today and see he was still there looking for strength right next to "Daddy".  What he doesn't know is that "Daddy" will always have his hand out for him to take. His shoulder will always be there to cry on and his heart will always be warm and loving.

I feel like Superman for just a little time and I hope that you get to as well,

His Loving Dad

2 comments:

  1. okay I'm not going to read your post anymore. I'm not in the business of tearing up! It put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tony. I am glad that my story touched you that way. I have to admit that I teared up writing it. With everything that has happened this year I am not taking things for granted anymore. The people that you expect to be there and trust my not be there tomorrow and you may not want them or trust them anymore.

    ReplyDelete

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...