Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Remembering your Grandfather Pendergrass

Hello my son,

    I wanted to tell you about your grandfather Pendergrass. I met your grandfather back many years ago.I knew him even before I met your mother. I had bought a motorcycle after your big brother left to go stay at his mothers' house. Your cousin Julie introduced me to her parents Karen and Guy and then I met your grandmother and grandfather on a few of the trips that we used to take. A few years later I met your mother. I loved riding on the motorcycles with him and your grandmother and having your mom along for the ride was awesome too. Your grandfather would get in front and just go. Sometimes it was hard to keep up but you always had fun getting where you where going. It was always about the stops along the way and the food and the people that were with you. I will miss that the most.

    Your grandfather Jack or Kenny as most people called him was someone that could talk to anyone. He smiled a lot and really loved to tinker on things. I would not have wanted him working on anything that belonged to me but I appreciated his ability to make things work. Your grandfather took me into his family and made me feel like part of the family very quickly. I knew that I could walk into the house and he would be there to welcome me in and offer me a cup of coffee and a story. He loved just being part of life around him and it made people that loved him want to be around him.

    I believe that your grandfather respected me and respected what I did for your mother and your brothers and sisters. I know he saw the family that I created with your mom. The extra rooms that I added to the house so that your sisters had a place to call their own. Taking the kids back in forth to school everyday while your mother was in school. The weekend camping trips to grandpas house and all of the fun that came from that. It was true that if you got in a boat with your grandfather that you never knew if you would be paddling back to shore or not but I guess that is what made life interesting. There were so many weekends when we would pitch the tent and just hang out at grandpas house for the weekend. Fires and smore's  talking and cooking hobo pies. Everyone enjoyed those weekends together. It was always nice for me to see Your big sister fishing off of the shore or the pontoon boat. She loved going on the annual fishing trips with grandpa. I am sorry that you will never get to do that with him. When I talked to Taylor about those weekends with grandpa she made it very clear that it was special because of the time that she got with grandpa. I think she will miss him the most. We used to tease her that is was more about the doughnuts and ice cream then fishing but I don't think it matter to her what they were doing as long as grandpa was there.

    Your grandfather had a way of touching everyone around him with love. I watched how he reached out with ease to everyone around him. I watched and tried to learn his ways. That was one place where I had so much to learn from him and I will miss getting that chance the most. Grandpa loved you and spent a lot of time with you. He watched you grow from a baby and held you in the first few minutes of your life. He saw you grow and learn to walk. He saw you play and ride your bike through the puddles. He watched you poke at the fire pit with a stick and learn how to just have fun with what was around you. He let you help drive his truck when he was moving things around in the yard and I think you liked sleeping in the camper more than you like sleeping in your bed at home. 

    You got to watch your grandfather die and I am sure that you didn't understand most of it. Why grandpa didn't answer you anymore at the end or why he couldn't get up and play with you anymore. I really hope that you never forget him. He loved his grand kids very much and I am glad that I got to meet this man before he died. He made my life better having known him. Kenny died on Thanksgiving morning 2013. He left an empty whole in many peoples lives that day.

Here is to you Jack Pendergrass. You will be missed,

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...