Monday, September 15, 2014

Remembering your Grandmother

Hello William,

    I wanted to take some time and tell you about your grandmother that died last year. I want to do it while it is fresh in my mind and before you get too old to not remember her any more. Your grandmothers name was Nancy Carol Easterling or grandma Easterling as you called her. She and your grandfather were married for 49 1/2 years together. It was a rocky road for them but somehow they stayed together and made it. If it hadn't been for the liver problems I know they would have made 50 years and probably more.

    Our lives were simple growing up. We never had much money and rarely had new clothes. We didn't get to go on fancy trips or really have much to call our own. We lived in the projects and grandpa worked at GM on the production lines. Your grandparents we not really very good with money but we had a few things that were fun. I remember taking trips to see our relatives in Tennessee and sprinkled all over the South. We would pile into the station wagon and off we would go for a week or two. Like I said life was simple. No seat belts and no worries of safety. We played Putt Putt golf a lot too. Mostly it was your aunts and me playing in our rooms with our toys.

    When I was young I remember that your grandmother smoked. I remember going into gas stations and buying cigarets for my mom before that was frowned upon. Grandma Easterling was also not very healthy. She had many things that kept her from really enjoying life. She had thyroid disease and back surgeries. She had her knees replaced and was always sick. When she was close to the end she spent a lot of time in wheel chairs and on the electric scooter. You enjoyed riding with her on the scooter. Grandma always had small dogs. I remember mostly toy Pomeranians growing up. She had a few other dogs types later on in life but they were the dogs that I grew up with.

    I wish I could tell you about the story of when grandma came to see you in the hospital when you where born but that never happened. Grandma did come to see you at our house for Christmas that year. You were still only a few weeks old. It was only the second time she ever came to our house and as it turns out the last time she ever came to our house.

    I am not sure what else I could tell you about grandma. Her mother died from leukemia when she was 17. I never met my grandmother. Her name was Cathrine. That is where your aunt got her name. I hope that you  remember her a little. You were very young when she died last year and you didn't get to spend much time with her. I know she would have liked to see you grow up and I know that she loved you in her own way.

Remembering Grandma,

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...