Friday, January 30, 2015

Back into the swing of things at robotics.

    Robotics season has started again. I have William every other week. He really loves going to robotics and tries to get involved as much as a seven year old can. When we show some new device on the robot he is right in the front row trying to get a look. When the CNC is running he watches the parts being built. When we are running the auto code he wants to see the robot go. I love having him there and seeing him be so excited about learning everything. He even chimes in with ideas. He has no fear of rejection and I am glad that the students treat him with respect.

    We are on week three of the build and we are halfway tomorrow on Saturday. We have a working robot and it does most of what we need it to do already. We are suppose to get some additional function this Saturday and we can add to the auto mode on the robot. William was very disappointed that he wasn't going to get to participate on Saturday. He even asked if I could change days with is mom so he could come on Saturday. I am excited about the progress we are making with the robot and I look forward to having it fully functional within the next week.

    I am also excited about the other students at robotics. They are sponges and are really super excited about learning what I do. That is why I love going so much. The students are some of the best in their schools. They are motivated and want to learn what ever you have to teach. I know they are just as excited as I am to see what we can do next. They are throwing out ideas for what we can do next and the list seems endless. We will have to put a list together and start working on them as new features are available on the robot. Having a year when I can go and participate with out fear of what it will cost me when I get home is uplifting. I can smile and think about robotics what out feeling guilty. I never should have had to feel that way in the first place.

    I will let you know how things go throughout the season. I am just hoping for a good year and to have some fun. Try some things and be successful even if we do not win. William will not get to go to most of the competitions this year. That is a good thing and sad thing all at the same time. He really isn't old enough to do useful things in the pits but I would love to have him there to see what we are doing. He will get to see one competition this year. That should be enough to keep him excited about the season. I'm sure that if they let him drive the robot at lest one time he will be back next year.

Hope to have a great season of learning,

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...