Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Getting to know your big brother

    Your big brother came to visit this week. It was awesome to me to see how excited you were to see him. He is so much older than you and I have always worried that you would not really know him because of that age difference. I was worried that he would not treat you like a good big brother and he would find you annoying more than any thing else. He has stepped up over the years and I see him treat you with respect and patience. I am very happy that he takes the time to make you feel like to matter to him. It is good to see you take him downstairs and play on the Xbox, play with the remote controlled car, play hot wheels and his patience when you don't share or when you get in the way when playing video games.

    When Thursday came this week and it was finally the day to pick up your big brother, you came into my room to wake me up and tell me that we needed to get going so we could pick him up. I acknowledged your request and you disappeared from my room and a few minutes later you were back fully dressed and ready to go. I wish it was that easy getting you out of bed every morning. It did make me smile knowing that you were that excited about his visit. After getting up and making breakfast we got in the car and headed to my sisters house to meet everyone there. My oldest sister picked up your brother from the airport and brought him to her house. We had a good catching up with each other and celebrated a few birthdays. We stayed and talked for a while and then we took your brother and went home.

    I have always wondered what your brother thinks about you sleeping in his room. I wounder if he thinks that I replaced him or if he thinks that is no big deal. When the house was fuller I really didn't have many choices for giving out rooms. I wanted you in his room, I guess, because of nostalgia. I missed your brother a lot when he went to live with his mother and it was nice have a son in that room again. My house will always belong to you and your brother and you will be welcome but part of me is afraid that he feels like an outsider now. I hope that is not true and that he can see the joy and pride I have for him just like I do for you.

    I want to make sure that you two have ever opportunity to be together and get to know each other. I guess having such a big age difference can be a good thing because you never had to go through sibling rivalry. You both had me to yourself. The time I spent was with you and you didn't have to share. Well I guess you shared with your other brother and sisters for a while but now my time is all yours.  You take more effort than your brother ever did. Your health care is a constant. You have so much more energy than your brother ever did. Your troubles in life started when you were old enough to see it and even understand it a little. Your brother and I started out when he was only two years old. That was when his mother walked out on us and we started our lives together. It was scary to become a full time single parent with no help. I was afraid but it made me stronger and made me love your brother better. It made me think like a mom and a dad.

    I hope that you become friends and dads together and that you take what I tough you and make it better. I hope you love stronger, live happier and talk to each other about making things better. I hope you help each other when the hard times come and when it is raining that you hold the umbrella for each other. I hope you have good times together and you stay a family. You stay brothers and you stand together through everything that happens in your lives.

I am very proud of my boys,

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...