Tuesday, January 27, 2015

School is Getting Better

    Things have been tough on my little man since mom left. He has been acting out at school and having lots of problems. He has gone a couple of weeks now with no major issues at school. It is a relief not to have to worry if I am going to get a call from school to come pick him up. Sadly he has started to adjust to his new life. I say sadly that he had to get used to this not that he is adjusting to it. I am glad to see him start to take ownership of his behavior. He was very excited to learn that he had finally earned back his Xbox privileges after months of no computer games. I haven't seen him that excited in quite a long time.

    Life is busy for us right now. I am mentoring F.I.R.S.T. robotics for a local school here this year. We are in the build stage for our robot and we are about half way through. William likes to go and help with what ever they will let him do. He gets really excited when he gets to drive the robot. They will usually let him do that a few times a year. I like to have him there so he sees what it takes to make a robot and everything that you have to learn to do it. I hope that this is a spark that makes him want to learn and be excited about doing this on his own team someday.

   Our days right now are: get home from school do homework, make dinner and then get a bath. We get home a little later because of robotics so we have to take care of everything before we go to make sure that William only has to brush his teeth before we go to bed and read our stories. He doesn't get to play as much Xbox with this schedule but I believe that it is better for him. We head over to the build site and work on the robot for a few hours. I love seeing William in his safety glasses asking the kids what they are doing and trying to help. Most of the students are good about letting him help or listening to his suggestions on how to make the robot better. He was very disappointed to find out that he will not be at my house for most of the competitions this year. He will get to see part of one of the competitions at the local college.

    I am enjoying getting to try new things with the team and teaching the students about programming. I plan to try and get them a little more involved tonight. They need to take ownership of the code and the robot. I am simply trying to show them techniques for programming that will make their lives easier.

    I can't wait to get to build a robot with you and see you excel at what you do. You are a true leader and love to take charge of the situation. I smile when you give ideas and you are not afraid to talk to the students today as if they were equals. I love to see the confidence that you have and I want you to know that I am proud of you even now.

Here is to your quest for knowledge and adventure,

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...