Monday, January 12, 2015

Snuggling on the Couch

    The one thing that helped me through everything this last year was you sitting by my side on the couch and snuggling. Many times when my mind was going a million miles an hour, you would come and sit next to me and I could calm my mind and I could fad off to sleep. Even if it was just a few minutes I was at peace because you were sitting next to me. When I have my arm around you I know everything is going to be okay for as long as we are sitting there together. I try to make sure that I get time with you every night for us to have that little bit of time together. I am waiting for that day when you no longer want me to put my are around you any more. I will be proud of you that day for the independence that you show as well as being sad because you don't need me the way that you once did.

    I see you grow everyday and become more mature. I am so proud of you. I wish that I could have given you a life with a mother and father because I really wanted that for you. Having one at a time and seeing the pain that it caused you is very hard for me. I think that you feel the same way when I put my arm around you. I think you feel safe and you know that everything is going to be okay too.

    I know the day is coming when it will no longer be cool for me to put my arm around you and snuggle on the couch. I will just have to put my arm around you in my heart and smile. I look forward to seeing the good man that you will grow up to be and I hope that you have learned enough that you turn out better than me. I do hope that you miss the cuddling and you are wishing in your head that I had my arm around you too. Please know that my arm will always be around you even when you are not with me.

    The last thing that I wish for you today is that when you are a dad, I hope you get to experience the wonderful feeling of snuggling on the couch. I hope you take every opportunity to feel that calm feeling of holding your children next to you and the joy and peace that it brings.I hope you pass that on to them and you one day feel the same joy and the sadness when you no longer get to do that together. Then you will understand when I say I will always have your arm around you.

Snuggling together today,

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...