Monday, January 5, 2015

The Holidays

    I was off for the last three weeks. It was a nice break from everything. I really needed the chance to recharge and get ready for a new year. A lot of things have changed this year but life is better now. Over the holidays William had a birthday, we had Christmas, Jen and I went to a Grand Rapids Griffins game, Jen and I had our six month anniversary and My oldest son came to visit. It was a really good time.

Birthday Cake

William's Birthday
    For William's birthday Jen and I made him a cake and decorated it. William has always wanted a cake that looked like one from the local store. Since he is gluten free that can not happen. We got a cake mix and made our own. We mixed the frosting and decorated it with Transformers. He loved the cake and liked it even more that the transformers we good ones from the store that he can play with. The cake was a new mix and it was great. The one from last year was kind of bitter but William liked it. The one from this year was very good and we all ate gluten free this year. We got to sing Happy Birthday, have ice cream and open gifts too. William got a special book that was all about him. He got his very own pirate hat and we had a great time. We played with his hot wheels on the floor. I am not sure who had more fun Jen or William.

Christmas Holiday's
    I got to spend Christmas eve with Jen and her family and William can home at 9:00. We got to wake up to see what Santa had brought for Christmas. This is a few of the highlights of Christmas day.


    We also hosted Christmas dinner and had a great time with Jen and her mother. We had lasagna. This was great because I had lunch with my friend Jeff the day before. He had his kids for Christmas but wasn't sure what he was going to feed them. I guess he doesn't cook much. I invited him over and we made dinner for us and his family. We made one big lasagna for Jen's mother Jen and myself. We made one stripped down lasagna for the kids to eat and one with everything for him. I also made William a gluten free lasagna. It felt good to be helping a friend. It was also very nice to hear him say that it was a memory that he would have for a long time. Making dinner with a friend for Christmas.

 The Griffins Game
    Jen and I had a great time at the Griffins. They kicked butt and won 7 to 1. We had a great time enjoying each others company.





 Six Months Together
    It is hard to believe that out of such tragedy and pain I got to meet someone that makes me feel good about who I am. Someone that appreciates everything that I do and doesn't take it all for granted. We celebrated six months together with a very nice dinner. I am very lucky to have met someone like her. Thank you for six great months together. I am looking forward to many more anniversary's with you.

Big Brother Came for a Visit
    My oldest son is in the Navy. He is currently going through nuclear engineering training to help run the nuclear power plants for the navy. He is hoping to be on a submarine. This is the same path that I took to get where I am today. It makes me proud to see him doing what makes him happy and working hard to get it.
    We do not get to see Aaron very much so we had to fit everything we could into the weekend he was here. My sister picked him up from the airport and took him to my other sister's house so we could all see each other.  William was so excited the day Aaron got here he came into my room and woke me up to tell me that we needed to get going to pick up Aaron. He left my room and came back a few minutes later fully dressed without me having to say a word.That really made me smile.
    William, Aaron and I went to Craig's Cruisers for some fun together. We rode the go carts and played games. Big brother is fun to hang out with. He also played with him on the Xbox and really was a great big brother. William wanted him to move in with us and was very disappointed to know he was going home.
    My oldest played hockey when he was younger. I loved coaching his team and it was something that we enjoyed doing together. We took in a Griffin's game while we were together. He is now a man and it is a little tough thinking of him that way.

I am grateful for the wonderful break and the family that surrounded me this holiday. It was good to have both of my sons in my house again. It was also nice to have Jen meet Aaron. They really hit it off and I got to see him play the guitar. Jen brought hers over. It was the first Christmas that I have enjoyed in a really long time.

What a wonderful break,

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...