Thursday, February 5, 2015

Keeping up with Diabetes Between Two Houses

    William now splits his time between two houses. One week with me and one with his mom. It makes keeping up with his numbers and changes to his pump a little harder. This is especially true because his mother does not talk to me to keep me in the loop on what she is doing for anything. I try to discuss schedules, doctors appointments, school and many other things about William. I get the same response most every time.... nothing back.

    When William gets to my house I usually go through his pump to see how his numbers have been for the days that he was away. I also check to see if his mother is getting up to check him at night. I look through the numbers and try to make since of it all. If I see a trend then I make changes to his pump. His A1C was higher the last time he went to the endocrinologist. I am guess that it is because of all of the changes and trying to coordinate what is going on between the two homes. If diabetes was not hard enough we have this new life to get used to.

    When I take him to the endocrinologist it is a little tougher to answer the questions. I can only answer what is going on at my house like sleeping habits, food, play and what ever the doctor asks. We also got a new doctor right in the middle of all of this. William was very sad that his old doctor moved on. He even cried when I told him on the way to the doctor. He told me he was sad because he really liked his old doctor. I feel bad that he has had to deal with so much stuff the last few years.

    I know things will get easier even if his mother continues to not talk. I have found that it just take more effort to keep up with things. When she takes him to the doctor I now have to call to see why and what the result of the visit was. Fortunately I do take him to most of his appointments so this is not a bigger deal than the one or two that she takes him to. She chose to leave you would think that she would be happy and not care. You would think that she would put him first but I guess the new guy is still the more important thing in her life. I do my best to send her updates when I take him. Just wish she gave the same respect back. I wish she put him first. So far he has not been hurt by her lack of communication. In fact it has cost her many times over the last year. I do hope that things get better for his sake but even if it doesn't I am always going to do what is best for my little guy.

I miss you when you are not here,

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...