Monday, April 27, 2015

Robots World Championships

    The world championships where fun. Our robot was consistent and did very well. There were 76 teams on our field and 608 teams all together. These were the best robots from all over the world. Thirty countries were represented. That is a lot of people in one place to be part of such an inspirational program to get students to become engineers and scientists. The world championships where held in St. Louis and the Edward Jones dome. This is also were the St. Louis Rams play football. William did not get to go with me to St. Louis, but I was thinking about him while I was there.

Setting up our robot
    We played well on the field that we were on. Each field is named for a scientist that has had a profound influence on humanity. Our field was named for Marie Skłodowska-Curie. She was a Polish and naturalized-French physicist and chemist who conducted pioneering research on radioactivity. We have the modern day X-ray because of her work. Seventy-six teams competed against each other to be the top seed for the finals. Our team was ranked number one or two most of the qualification matches.  We were the number one seed with two matches left. We did finish third over all. We were very happy to end up there considering the talent that was on our field.



What a View
    We moved on into the finals. In the finals we pick three other teams to play with us. We did OK in our finals match but we did not do well enough to move on. What a great season with a young team. We had many good things to take away from this season. We were one of two teams in the world that had a perfect autonomous. Autonomous is the first 15 seconds of the game where the robot plays the game by itself.  We also scored more totes than any other team. That is an amazing accomplishment all in it's own. We did everything that we could have done to be successful this year. We had a lot that we learned and plenty that we can take into next season. 



There were eight of these fields.
 On the personal side of things. I have someone in my life that understands why I am a mentor for this program. She encourages me to be involved and lets me take the time that is required without guilt. She sees the joy that I get with being involved and with teaching the students programming, electrical and what ever I can teach team before they are gone.  What an amazing uplifting feeling to be able to enjoy everything about this experience even when I come home. Thank you Jen.

I hope that you get to go next year because I missed you there buddy.

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...