Monday, February 22, 2016

Blood Sugar Test Strips

    I went to the pharmacy the other day to get test strips for William. This was the first month that he was not covered by Michigan Special Health Care. The price quadrupled last year and then doubled this year. It no longer made since to have it any more. I was surprised when they told me how much the test strips where going to cost. I can buy test strips for $81 with insurance for six boxes of strips or I can go online and buy the same strips for $63 dollars without insurance. What is this world coming to? I can go and buy medical supplies cheaper without insurance than I can with insurance. 

    The cost of diabetes is very expensive. So many supplies each month. Just dealing with diabetes is hard enough, then you have to throw in the stress of having to pay for all of this. I was on a forum for dads of diabetics. I made the comment that the supplies where getting so expensive. One of the dads interjected that his supplies where all covered through Obamacare even the Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) supplies. That just added insult to injury. My health insurance rates have gone up so significantly but someone else get their supplies for free. I guess that is the democratic way. 

    Funny side note my spell checker doesn't correct Obamacare. I guess it is officially a word. LOL

    I do worry about when William gets older. How will he take care of himself? Will he have insurance that is good enough to cover everything for him? There really isn't much you can do about it right now. I guess your options growing up are to be really rich and get good coverage or to be really poor and get good coverage. If you are in the middle you get to pay for it. 

I love you buddy and want to see you grow up healthy,

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...