Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Summer Started

Watching the Whitecaps
     Summer has kicked into to full swing. William successfully made it to third grade. We started our summer off with a trip to see the Whitecaps play baseball. William, Jen and I had fun watching the game. The sun was out and strong. Even though we used sunblock there was still a few burned spots.  The game went into extra innings and in the 11th inning our Whitecaps lost. It was still a fun day. William had some popcorn and later ice cream with hot fudge. I try to make our trips to the park fun and memorable. Diabetes was quiet for this trip and I really didn't have to think about it except when I gave William his treats. That is a nice day at the park. We did still have to worry about celiac disease. There are not a lot of options at the park for someone with celiac disease which is why we had popcorn and soft serve ice cream instead of hotdogs and hard ice cream. The crowd was pretty boring this day until the seventh inning stretch. I was surprised at how many people were singing when "Take me out to the Ballpark" started. 

What a great day
    We had a visit with my life long friend later on in the week. I have known this guy for most of my life now. He has been there for the good times and the terrible times in my life, and his. My oldest son loves him to death and now my youngest gets to meet him too. My friend travels a lot and moved away from our home state a while ago. We do not get to see him as much as we would like but he is still important in our lives. William really liked hanging out with him. We went to Red Robin for a gluten free chicken sandwich for William and burgers for us. Then we stopped for ice cream at a local hangout. When we finished with our ice cream he pulled out his phone and we took turns playing a game to see who could do the best. I think we all had a lot of fun. I just hope we get to see him again really soon. 

    William started a new daycare for the summer. It started off a little bumpy. I had scheduled a daycare for William and filled out all of the paperwork and even gave them the start date. Then the day he was supposed to start they told me they were not expecting him and he could not stay. I had to scramble to find a new daycare and fast. That can be challenging with William's type 1 diabetes. I did find a new daycare but William could not start for three days so I got an extra three days of vacation with my son. The new daycare seems to be going well so far. It turns out this was a little bit of a blessing in disguise. William's new teacher has type 1 diabetes so it takes a lot of the worry off of me for his care during the day.  I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best for the summer. Tomorrow is water day and I think William will really love that. 

The weather in Dallas
I do not travel for work very often. I have been working at the same place for almost 17 years now. That is hard to imagine all on it's own but I have only traveled maybe 4 times the whole time I have worked here. I was gone for almost a week while William was at his mothers house. It was a grueling trip and I put in a lot of hours. I had a connecting flight that went through Dallas with only a 15 minute layover and I barely made my connection. Who scheduled this and thought 15 minute layover no problem? It wasn't me. When I looked at my phone for the weather I was glad I was not staying. The trip went well and everything was going as planned. I printed off my return tickets for my return home on Thursday night when around 3:00pm I got a call from my boss that I needed to go to Detroit for Friday for a different issue. I had to scramble to get everything done and we got the tickets, hotel and rental car set up. When I got to the second job I was only there for ten minutes. It was a little sad and funny at the same time. Turns out there was nothing wrong with the machine. I did a little training and left. I do not mind getting out of the office once in a while but the unexpected Friday trip was a little bit of a nerve-wracking experience. I was glad to be home on Friday and I picked up William later that night.

I'm looking forward to more summer fun,

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...