Thursday, September 25, 2014

Letters from Dad (Giving of Yourself)

    I have one thing in my life that I enjoy doing so much, that is giving to others. I gave to your mother. I gave to your brothers and sisters, your grandparents and I give to you. This is not the type of giving that I am talking about however. You are always going to be a priory in my life and I am sure that you will get more of my giving than anyone else in my life but I want to make sure that you understand the joy of giving to others. I want you to understand that small acts of kindness pay back more than you realize. It might take years before you see some of the things where you changed someone's life. Those days will come and the joy inside will flood your soul.

    Before I met your mother I coached hockey. It was something that I loved doing so very much. It gave me friends and relationships with the kids that I coached. I still see some of them today and they still come by and say hi or thanks. I coached hockey because your older brother wanted to play hockey. I had never even ice skated before all of this. I learned to skate and then I taught your older brother to skate. He started playing hockey when he was five. When he turned 12 he went to live with his mother. It was one of the darkest times in my life. I kept coaching hockey because I didn't want to miss him so much. At first it didn't help me forget about your brother. In fact it only made me miss him more. There was a day toward the end of the first season that I had one of the kids I had been coaching all year skate up to me during the game and asked "did you see that coach? I did exactly what you told me to do and it worked." That was the first time when hockey became mine and not a memory of me and your brother. It was that moment that made coaching something that I loved to do without the guilt of missing your brother. I got to coach for eight wonderful years. I always missed coaching but family came first. When I had to quit I got a letter in the mail. It was handwritten by one of the kids that I had coached. He told me that I had changed his life, that he appreciated everything I had tough him and he hoped that he would play good enough that I would be proud of him. He told me that he hoped that someday I could coach again and that he would get to play for me again. Getting that letter made me cry. I sure hope he knows I would have been proud of him just for loving the game of hockey and being a a good person.  Just receiving that letter in the mail let me know that he got what I was teaching. I hope to get you into hockey soon so we can have the wonderful memories too. Coaching was more about the kids and experiences, teaching them to love the game and being a good person than winning games. I will count my coaching experience a success if just one student goes on to give back and to love the game enough to give it to one kid. If they teach that kid to love themselves first and respect others. If they teach that win or lose your friends are the most import part of hockey.

    I love to work for Habitat for Humanity too. I love learning about the families that I am helping just by volunteering my time. I learn about how to take care of our house too so I guess it is a win for everyone. I have done so many different jobs over the years and I love seeing the progress of the house over the build. I get to meet so many wonderful people and listen to their stories too. Give of yourself and it will come back to you.

    A few years back I started helping out with F.I.R.S.T. robotics. I really missed coaching and it was a way for me to reconnect with the joy of seeing kids learn. I love solving problems as an engineer. I have experience with the programming language, so it seemed to be a perfect fit. I do enjoy seeing these highly motivated kids learn and try things on their own. They take ownership of what they do and are proud to display it when the judges come around. I give to these kids but get so much more back in return. I am happy that I have met someone that supports me in being part of this group and I look forward to being part of this organization for a long time.
 
    I hope that you find things like this that you can be passionate about too. This is where you are going to get the best rewards in your life, helping others and giving back. I will continue to take you so you can see and I hope that you learn to give with all of your heart in every thing that yo do. I hope to retire and become someone that helps others in need. I have had a great life and I have many rewards for the hard work that I have done. I want others to be able to say the same. I want to inspire others to give because they were given to. That is what makes the world a better place.

Find your joy in the life you give,

Your Loving Father

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...