Friday, July 25, 2014

The New Beginning

Hello all,

We used to have a blog that we kept together. Now it is just William and I, so I thought I would start my own blog for him. I'm sorry if you don't understand some things, but some are just for William and I but I hope that if you read this blog you learn more about my precious son.

William was diagnosed with Type one diabetes when he was 2 just before Thanksgiving. He is now 6 as of this posting today. When we first went to the hospital to learn how to take care of him what a scary day. William, his mother and I sat in a room. The doctor and nurse came in showed us how to take his blood sugar, give him shots and count carbs for taking care of William. What an amazing weight that had just been placed on all of us, especially William. I remember going home and being so afraid that William would not wake up in the morning and wondering how long that feeling would last. It has been almost five years now and I wish I could tell you that that feeling went away a long time ago but it hasn't. I still wake up every morning and walk in his room and hope that he is still breathing. I have many times before bed gone into his room to make sure he was still warm and breathing. When William was 5 we also learned that he has celiac disease.  This mostly means that he can not eat gluten.

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

This year life just got harder for us all. Williams grandmother (dad's mom) and grandfather (mom's father) both died. This year also saw his mom choose to find a new path in life which did not include keeping our family together anymore. We are starting to adjust to this new life. Sharing time and trying to keep everything about William. It is sad where life has taken us this year but we will be stronger in spite of it all. Our lives have changed and I am going to try to make William's life the best I can. We are starting our new beginning this year. Living each day as if William will not wake up tomorrow. Hugging often as I can and snuggling as much as possible and I will continue until William will not let me do that any more.

This blog is suppose to be about William but I am sure that you are going to get me here too. It will be hard as we are joined in life together and I really hope there is never a William without me. I will try to keep you up to date on what is new in our lives and hope that It is a wonderful journey that you got to come along for.

This is our start together and I hope a wonderful journey to manhood for him.

His loving Dad

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tim, thanks for starting the blog and well done keeping for William as your focus during all the troubled times you've both gone through. Type 1 is tough enough let alone everything else but there's no doubt that William will grow up to be a strong and caring young man with you at his side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kev,

      Thank you for the kind words. I thank you for taking the time to get to know us a little today and I am sorry it has taken time for me to get back to you. I will try to make the best choices that I can for my son. It is a great responsibility and I need to get it as right ad I can.

      I hope you continue to follow our lives and just check in on us now and then.

      Tim

      Delete
  2. I wish you and William all the best. I wish for his mom the same. Diabetes can be a real pain. Could CGM help you and William have a better night rest? I know it gave me my peace of mind back. Thinking of all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy,

      I wish the best for his mom the same too. I know her decisions were tough ones and I really hope that she took the time to think them out before hurting everyone involved. We have looked into a CGM and it would be a good idea and one I had hope to follow through on this year. With everything that happened money is tight and I am hoping that next year we will be able to consider it again. Until then I will just have to continue the 2AM checks and loose sleep because he is so worth it to me.

      Delete

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...