Friday, May 8, 2015

What do I do about Mother's Day for William?

    It is Mother's Day again this year. Last year was horrible with William's mother leaving and all the horrible things that she did when she left. I let William pick out a gift for her last year in spite of everything. It was a tough decision but I wanted to show him that he was more important to me than hate. She did return the favor for fathers day which was surprising. That was where her kindness ended. I let him pick a gift for her birthday but with her wedding just four months after leaving me, things had now all changed.

    Fast forward to a year later. William came home from daycare with a shopping list that he had made for things that he would like to get for his mother for Mother's Day. It was amazing to see him put that much thought and effort into Mother's Day. He told me that he wanted to get her a ring. That is one thing that I will never help him buy. I bought her one ring and she chose to wear someone else's ring instead. With all of the effort he had made I wanted to make sure that I did the right thing for him so I took him to the store and let him pick out a gift. He knew exactly what the end product should look like. He wanted it to be purple (her favorite color), it had to have nice paper, and it had to have a bow.

    We got home with the gift that he had picked after much deliberation. He opened the paper that we had bought. He then went and got the scissors and tape so we could wrap it. I helped him cut and fold the paper and showed him how the bow worked. He seemed so happy that he was all set for Mother's Day. He couldn't wait to give her the present. He asked "How many days until Mother's Day?" I told him three more days and we put the gift into his backpack. That is how we transfer things between our houses these days.

    This is also the second year that my mother is gone for Mother's Day. It really has been a rough couple of years. Things are getting better and I have to say that I feel happier than I have in a very long time. My biggest concern is William these days. I see how much the decisions that his mother made hurt him and everyone around her. I see him acting out and her not owning the hurt that she caused. She wants to blame it on ADHD and I guess that is easier than saying I am sorry and looking inside. It is still Mother's Day and she is still his mother and I would never try to take that away from him.

I love you buddy and you will always come first,

Your Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...