Thursday, August 14, 2014

Starting to Take Care of Himself

    William is six years old now but you would never know it the way he tells you that he knows how to do anything you bring up. If you ask him' he should have a job, he can drive a car, he can read and he can take care of his diabetes. He can't do complex math yet but he can take care of himself. Sometimes I think if I let him go he could do some of the things that I listed. I am glad to see him be so confident in himself.

Driving by Himself
    We went to a local place for fun. We go to play mini-golf and drive the go carts. It was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to getting back there before the end of the season. William is a very smart and independent person even at six. He does not let diabetes or celiac disease get him down. I have only once heard him complain that it wasn't fair. I am not sure many of us would think the same thing with something like this in our lives. Something that is there 24-7. Something that you have to poke your finger for ten times a day. Where you can not start eating until you have your glucose number and have entered your carbohydrates into your pump. 

    Life is challenging for my little man and this year with his mom leaving, grandpa and grandma passed away and not having his brother and sisters living with us any more. That has been a lot for me to take so I can see that there are days when he doesn't know how to cope. I keep trying to hug him and reassure him that he is loved by me and his mom. That things will get better and we will keep finding ways to have fun.

Having fun together,

His Loving Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story by William

William's letter about Lucky     William sat down yesterday an wrote a letter about Lucky our dog. He wanted me to publish it. So ...